With thanks to my late aunt, Jean Abdee, whose legacy has helped make this possible.

Saturday 17 July 2010

Progress

It's the half-marathon tomorrow. How quickly these challenges are coming up. I've done two half-marathon length runs, neither comfortably, but at least I can cover the distances in reasonably good time so should be OK tomorrow. I'm glad the weather has cooled down since my practice runs as running in heat is not something I enjoy.

It's actually been raining quite hard these past few days and since it rained on July 15th - St Swithin's Day - it could continue for some time if the old folk rhyme holds true.

St Swithin's Day, if thou be wet
for 40 days it raineth yet.

On the upside, it makes things cooler and life easier generally, and means I get to test my gear for waterproofness.

The bike has been in for a service - a proper service from a proper bike shop, and as a result the gears and brakes are a lot better. I've also got an extension for the handlebars to make them higher (why they sell a bike for people of a certain height and allow you to adjust everything but handlebar height I don't know. Grumble over.) I've also changed the pedals from the lovely elegant single-sided ones to plain pedals with toe-clips and feel much safer due to being able to release my feet instantly. I've given the cleats a good trial but I'm not happy with them. Last and most important, I've changed my saddle from the one supplied (too soft) to a harder and much more supportive saddle. As a result of all these changes I'm getting a lot less discomfort in all areas though still a bit sore around the shoulders after a long ride.

The route planning is underway and I've got it as far as Gloucestershire. I'm using the improbably-named bikeroutetoaster.com which is ideal and even gives the elevation for the day. I had a few problems with it to start with, which involved doing the route for my first day four times, but seem to have the hang of it now. I think this will be a work in progress for some time yet though.

Last but not least, it's Tour de France time and watching the truly elite cyclists struggling up the French Alps is truly inspirational. I've also learnt about power to weight ratio, which means I need to lose another 10 lbs to be the ideal weight for climbing mountains! But then I don't have to go up the French Alps.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Ruth we know you can do it, no doubt Alfie will be waiting at the finnish line (on a peice of string barking at litter :).

    Cheers J.P. (leJogPlodder)

    ReplyDelete