With thanks to my late aunt, Jean Abdee, whose legacy has helped make this possible.

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Day 3 - Bridestowe to Greenham

Starts: distance 60.07 m, osi 196.7m, max speed 33.5. Travel time 7:38:42, actual time 11 hours (I think the discrepancy is because when I'm walking it's so slow the bike computer doesn't register it as movement!). A day of two bike paths, 27 and 3. Left campsite at 8 am and took the bike route to Okehampton ( very nice place). Lovely route and flat but still slow going. Then B roads to Zeal - fine - and very minor white lanes on which I both walked (v steep) and got lost, and rather discouraged. Also ran out of energy ( cyclists refer to this as "bonking" but I don't want to give my friends the wrong impression of what I'm doing here!) Got some Lucozade which helped no end. Was glad to see Tiverton and even more so to find route 3 out of it, along by the canal and blessedly FLAT. This comes to just beyond Burlescombe ( pronounced BurraLESScombe apparently - lovely!). Got a camping pitch at Greenham nr Wellington. I'm in Somerset now - 3 counties in 3 days.

1 comment:

  1. Ruth, you're doing fantastically well and it's great to be following you on the blog. Learn to love those hills, it's what wheels and legs were made for !-) ... Chris

    ReplyDelete