With thanks to my late aunt, Jean Abdee, whose legacy has helped make this possible.

Wednesday 8 September 2010

Day 11: Hardraw to Dufton

Stats: 34.93m, odo 705.7, max speed 38.5, av speed 7.3. Time 4:47:57, actual time 8 ¼ hours.
Slept for ten hours straight last night and woke at my normal setting off time. Got breakfast and the normal breaking camp routine done, but everything was taking ages, and when I started trying to cycle it was confirmed - I was exhausted. That 18 mile push had taken it out of me. So everywhere I went today I went very slowly, and as you can see it took nearly all day to do what would normally be half a day's cycling.
Having said that, it was really lovely with some fantastic views over the fells, and because there was almost no- one else about (a little traffic and a handful of walkers) it really felt as if I had these hills all to myself. I'm so glad I came from the south up, as the scenery just gets better all the time. Came into Cumbria and had the best downhill section ever, sweeping into Nateby and Kirkby Stephen, where I had lunch.
Apart from some low cloud to start with it's been a really hot sunny day, and I could appreciate the stunning scenery.  Decided to call it a day at Dufton and will hopefully get a pub meal ( my second this trip) at The Stag. For now it's good to just stop and recoup. Picture attached is of the Wainwrath Falls just up from Keld.

2 comments:

  1. u doing well nearly there we thought about you last night at house group

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth you're still doing soooo well, you'll soon be in Scotland and that will encourage you on your way I'm sure. Can't believe you're in Cumbria, I drove back from there last weekend and it seems to take so long, yet you've cycled there ... from Cornwall! Do have really good sleeps and break your days down into achievable goals, I know you'll persevere - Chris

    ReplyDelete