With thanks to my late aunt, Jean Abdee, whose legacy has helped make this possible.

Friday 10 September 2010

Day 13: Hawick to Inverkeithing

Stats: 80.18m, odo 865.5, max speed 37, av speed 8.9. Time 8:55:20, actual time 10 ¾ hours.
Morning: damp, dull, drawn- out, dreary, dreich and depressing. If anyone else has suitable synonyms for a long road with very little different along it on a wet day in the Scottish Borders, feel free to add.
After the foggy misty and downright very rainy and wet weather ( did I mention the mud?) the sun finally came out as I approached Edinburgh. Went along quite a lot of cycle paths, then a long stretch by the canal then ten more miles out of town to the Forth Bridge. Then saw sign that the cycle path on my side was closed and would I take the stairs to the other one. ( Stairs?!!)  So carefully got bike down two flights of stairs, but up the other side was another matter. All the panniers had to come off and be carted up then the bike, then the whole kit resembled. Did I mention the mud?
Nice ride along the bridge and it now feels that phase two - mainland / England is done, but on a day like today I can safely say it's a struggle.

2 comments:

  1. Good use of the word dreich. I think you could mention the mud a little more though ;)

    It sounds a horrible struggle, particularly the stairs, but you're doing fantastically. I hope tomorrow sees an improvement in the weather, and fewer obstacles generally.

    Toria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't believe that you are so far so soon!
    Tell us the truth Ruth, you are wearing a jet-pack? Really proud of you.

    Gloria and Peter

    ReplyDelete