With thanks to my late aunt, Jean Abdee, whose legacy has helped make this possible.

Sunday 12 September 2010

Day 15: Pitlochry to Slochd

Left at 7am as I knew it would be a long and probably steep ride today but in the event it went very well and quickly. Stats: 74 miles, odo 1009.8. Max speed 26.5, av 9.3. Time 7:57:35, total time 10.5 hours.
Had Sunday morning all to myself as I went through Blair Atholl and saw Highland cattle by the entrance to the campsite.
Soon got onto the bike route that runs alongside the A9, with all the warnings that this is a high road and to expect sudden bad weather and to be prepared. I thought I was as prepared as possible so went on. The cycle path was quite far from the road to start with, with nice views of the river and waterfall to the left and the mist- covered mountains ahead. It was very cold; I had two shirts as well as my jacket, rainlegs and gloves. It was a very long, very gradual uphill, hardly noticeable except that with the slight headwind it was enough to keep my speed down to single figures. Saw a couple of cyclists and even a runner with a large pack going the other way. Eventually got to the summit of Drumochter at 1516 feet and was also welcomed to the Highlands and the Cairngorms. Had a gentle downhill and had done 30 miles by the time I arrived at Dalwhinnie, so decided it was time for lunch and had a bacon roll, coffee and cake at an excellent cafe ( also a bunkhouse).
The sun came out then but it was still cold, but the going was good to Newtonmore and Kingussie. I rang the bunkhouse I wanted to stay at to check there was room and was again picked up on pronunciation - it's Kin goosey, apparently!
Took the B road instead of the bike route to Aviemore, which was nice and fast and again traffic free as there as an A road directly alongside it! Took the Speyside Way to Boat of Garten, which was hard work. Was making very good time and set for an early finish, so dithered in Carr Bridge before taking the off road route ( don't - it's very hard work) through a forestry estate to the bunkhouse, which is very luxurious and wonderful, especially since I have the entire place to myself. Might as well make the most of it, as the forecast for tomorrow is back to normal - heavy rain predicted all day.

1 comment:

  1. 1000 miles up and you didn't mention it at all! I can only conclude you must be getting indifferent to your achievements by now but you're doing so well. A big cheer from everyone at work Ruth. Your blog says you were at Inverness an hour ago, so about 120 miles / 2 days to go eh? :-) - Chris

    ReplyDelete